Saturday, January 10, 2009

He made it! The love of our life is here!

William Andrew Athens! He weighed in at a whopping 9 lbs and 22.5 inches long. It was quite the experience. We went in sunday for a non stress test, to test my amniotic fluid levels and they were low again, so the dr was called and said we would be induced! We were told to come back that night at 8:30 to receive a cervical ripening agent as my cervix was only open to 1.5 cms. Well once we got there it was decided to just start the pitocin. They started it around 9pm and came in at 2 to break my water. After that the contractions started getting stronger and closer together. Woo! Then after quite a few intense contractions I decided it was time for the epidural. I love modern medicine! The anesthesiologist was really nice and talked me through the whole thing. I was kind of nervous for this but all went well and after it started I felt great. They continued to check my progress which was SO slow. My mom came at 7am monday and I was only at a 4. Anyways after what seemed like an eternity I was finally complete or 10 cm dilated. My nurse had me start pushing, which is torturous but feels better at the same time. It wore me out for sure. I pushed for about 2 hours, oh and did I mention that my epidural for some reason was done, gone, disappeared. ;) After pushing all this time and waiting for the dr, I was told to not push and just relax through contractions. Yeah right! Well I didn't push for about 30 minutes but my body knew what it was doing and helped the baby progress. The dr came in (he had been called into an emergency c-section) and he got ready, another dr pushed on my stomach and I pushed for maybe 9 minutes and he was born! So amazing. He had the weirdest shaped head ever! He looked a little alien ish b/c of his cone head and squinchy eyes! We got a hat on him quickly! He was weighed and measured and everything was great. I can't believe it, after all this time, our baby boy was born. Here are some pics from delivery and in the hospital. I will put up more later. To create life is so amazing and to be able to hold it in your hands and know that you share in one large way God's power is amazing. I feel so blessed.











18 comments:

Unknown said...

He is PRECIOUS!!!! Wow, 9lbs!! I am so happy for you guys, congratulations. It makes me want my little guy!

Megan said...

I am so happy for you guys, Katie! And glad that everything went well!! I can't wait to see the little guy :)

Kim and Franklin said...

Ahh how adorable. Congrats!

Billie Sue said...

We have been waiting for the news since the middle of December -- not sure why, when you due date wasn't until the end, but we were anxious--I guess! Congratulations! He is beautiful! Your Dad was so excited when he called us--even excited to be a "Grandpa!" I'm glad all went well for you--I mean relatively well--and that you are all home and a wonderful little family! We can't wait to see him in real life!

Giselle Rasheta said...

Wow, what an ordeal! He is such a handsome little guy...I can't believe you did that with your epidural worn off, and after what, 10 hours of labor? That is so crazy...I hope mine goes a little easier than that, but it's good to know that no matter how they come, you're just as happy when they're here and healthy.

What a cutie! I hope I can see him sometime...

Chelsea Johnson said...

Big babies are the best! I like to think they're much healthier and easier to take care of!

You are such a champ to push for that long, it definitely does wear you out. He is beautiful and adorable! Congrats!

Katie said...

You look awesome! Good job, I can't believe all that work! Sheesh! I think I'll be postponing the family a little more...You're so awesome. Let me know when you're up for visitors, I do want to come!

Robbin said...

He is adorable! Way to go mommy and daddy! Enjoy him now because just wait till he's 2 and he tells you "DUH! HELLO!" when you ask him a question!

Jacci said...

I am so happy for you! Congratulations! Isnt it the most wonderful miracle! He is beautiful!

Unknown said...

WAHOO! Congrats you two. We are very excited for you. Glad all is well and you are home.

Ali said...

Congratulations!!! I'm thrilled for you. 91lbs... ouch, woman. You're amazing.

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Congrats!

Jennifer said...

So amazing! He is so beautiful, congratulations! I am so happy for you guys!

Nikki said...

Congratulations!!! Be grateful for a bigger baby. They sleep through the night faster and they pave the way (ya know, *down there*) for siblings (not that I'd know).

Kristie said...

Congratulations to you both! William is a cute little baby, well big baby, but one day you will look back at how small he was. Take care!

Billie Jo said...

You are a champ. Both of my sisters have had big babies and I just I could never handle it. But no matter what the size you still love them and my favorite part is the wonderful smell of this perfect little person. Hope to see him sometime in real life.

Tania Jabonero said...

oWOWOW Thank you for sharing!that special moment!! He looks great!! I'm glad that all went well!!CONGRATS!!
Katie you are my hero!!:)

Jenni said...

OK the first part of your birth story actually sounded just like mine :) With the low fluid, getting induced, epidural, etc. But then the rest was all different. But again...congrats. Love the pictures - you really have a cutie. I loved reading your birth story.