Tuesday, May 20, 2008

General Annoyance

So, we live on the bottom floor of our apartment complex. Just after moving in, we went to meet the neighbors that live above us for two reasons: 1. to give them an opportunity to welcome us to the neighborhood (we figured they wouldn't do that without some coaxing) and 2. because we heard they allowed everyone to piggy-back their wireless internet. They seemed pretty nice, besides the fact that the wife has a striking resemblance to Skeletor (I'd like to take credit for the He-Man reference, but Katie was the first to point it out). They charge us $15/month to use their connection. We don't mind the cost too much, but according to my calculations, they're making out like bandits if all 8 apts use their internet. Shortly after our first visit, though, we discovered that we could hear just about everything Skeletor and the Master of her Universe were doing through our ceiling. That sounds markedly dirtier than I meant it to, but.......We have no idea what they do up there at 4 am, but here are a few options of what we think it sounds like: blind-folded roller derby, greco-roman chocolate pudding wrestling, the new Billy Blanks tap-dancing Tae-bo video, etc. They also get really irritated if we make any noise. Any time I put a nail in the wall to hang a picture in the middle of the day, they bang on the floor as if we are disrupting their invisible sleeping baby. We sometimes turn on music on Saturdays while we clean the house and they always turn theirs on louder so they can't hear ours. The icing on the irritating cake came when I got en email a few weeks ago from Skeletor's weasel husband because we hadn't paid for May's internet yet. I got it on May 2 and somehow it got erased, but I'll paraphrase: "I'm sick of you paying for your internet late. I have to pay for the internet on the first of the month and so should you. From now on, if I don't get your payment by the 2nd of the month, I will disconnect your connection. I'm tired of waiting for you to pay." I decided to take the high road and assume that they were having financial problems and that was why they needed our payment. So I wrote a check for 3 months worth of internet and went to talk to my confrontational web admin. Surprisingly enough, he sent Skeletor to the door to deal with me(I know he was there, I heard him hiding in the kitchen). Undetered, I offered to pay them the last week of the month so that our check would clear in time for them to pay this ominous internet bill. They declined. I'm not sure how they'll react in 3 months when its time for us to pay again, but you'd better believe I'll be knocking on their door with a $15 check at 11:57 pm on the night of the 2nd.

5 comments:

Melissa and Allen said...

hahahahha that's funny! welcome to the blogging world! it's about time!

Kim and Franklin said...

Skelator huh?? So she must look a lot like Miss B.

Chelsea Johnson said...

Hey Katie!
I'm really excited you started a blog, in fact I commented on your mom's that I was hoping you would! Congrats on the baby, it is soooo much fun and very exciting! I feel totally out of touch with your life since it's been forever since I've seen you, so that's another added bonus of this whole blogging thing....I now will know everything about you again!

About the pregnancy sicknes, I was pretty sick with Jack for about 3-4months, and some of my daily essentials in feeling well enough to go to work were: A)Carnation instant breakfast first thing in the morning(but not before you brush your teeth); B) ginger snap cookies, supposedly ginger is good for nausea; C)eating small little snacks like yogurt, grapes, cheese, crackers, etc every two or so hours. It seemed like if I stayed on top of the nausea it would be best! I'm sure you've probably read and heard lots of things, but thats what was best for me! I was lucky enough to have ultrasounds ALL the time since I work in a radiology dept, but it does suck that most people have to wait till 20 weeks! Sorry about that--hang in there, it will be so much fun when you get to have it! Sorry for the extremely long comment, I'm just enthused about your debut into the blogging world and pregnancy!

Kristin said...

yikes. sorry you have to deal with internet tyrants. seriously, there is no way their internet is that expensive. but somebody's got to pay for all that chocolate pudding

ashley said...

Hey!! I'm so glad you have a blog!! And congrats to you on your impending arrival :) I'm so excited for you. Good luck with the pregnancy...I hope you start to feel better soon Katie.