Monday, June 2, 2008

CARPOOLING...

To carpool or not to carpool, that is the question.

When I started my job in October and knew I would be driving to Salt Lake four times a week, I figured that being in a carpool was a great idea. Not only for convenience, but to save miles on the car and save money. Had I known the mental anguish it would cause me in the months to come, I'm quite sure I would have spared myself and Andy all the horrors!

My carpool was made up of some interesting (to say the least) characters. There were 2 women and 3 males. Only the males drove and that in itself was frightening enough some days, as at random times, one driver exclaimes "WOW! I was just going 105 mph" Some things can be overlooked, such as speeding or over zealous honking habits but I soon discovered major character flaws that I just couldn't handle. Besides the fact that 4 of 5 were over 5'10" and being squished into a 2 door Honda, or even worse a VW jetta. Oy! Needless to say, I always was in the back seat considering my short leg syndrome!

One morning, we were on our way and the car was reaking of some horrid odor that was all too familiar...morning breath. When the assailant was questioned he cheerfully admitted that since he had skipped breakfast, and would be eating at work he'd also skipped brushing. YUCK!

So my friends, my advice is that no matter how desperate or frugal you are...SCREEN your carpool particpants carefully. You have no idea how much you will learn about them on your commute to and from work! I did end up with one good friend through the carpool experience but some other members are definitely on the list. (you know mom, they're dead to me!)


3 comments:

Anna said...

I'm surprised you didn't mention our favorite music!!!

tortured mormon mom said...

I know all about the dead to me thing, I think I may have invented it.(After Tony Soprano,of course)i think it may be a good life lesson. Screen all your "close" associates carefully!

Melissa and Allen said...

when you say "was" does that mean you are no longer car pooling with them? or are you no longer working? or what? That is pretty GROSS about the morning breath. Ew. Nice that you never had to drive though